Friday, April 29, 2005

Thoughts on Kansas

In Kimball's family letter we take turns writing an "editorial" and it was my turn this week. Here it is.

As our time in Kansas draws to a close, I have reflected on our time here. There are many things that I’ll miss about Kansas and others that I won’t. And there are many things that I’ll just laugh about. Here are a few.
You know you’re in Kansas…
…when you officially move your observance of Valentine’s Day in order to get the discounted after-Valentines chocolates at Russell Stover.
…when the city ordinance states you must paint your house purple and name your first child Willie. (Kansas State’s color is purple and mascot’s name is Willie.)
…when the populations of most towns is smaller than that at Alpine.
…when church is cancelled because the church’s parking lot has turned into a skating rink.
…when you get stuck behind a tractor going 30 mph on a 2-way highway.
…when you’re tempted to attend Baptist services on stake conference weekend, because the stake center is too far away.
…when the TV is constantly tuned to the Weather Channel.
…when climbing the escalators at the mall is the closest thing to hiking.
…when you spend your wedding anniversary in a tornado shelter.

No comments: